Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Disappointed



Since the last post, Baby A has been able to come off of CPAP and onto the nasal cannula. That is exciting. Baby B's breathing is just fine. Remember how I told you that things change in an instant? Well, this past weekend Baby A was found to have a staph infection on his face. It is from the bandages on his face that hold the cannula and feeding tubes in place. Since they don't change the tape that often, dirt and grime get under the tape and of course other things get under the tape and it led to staph infection. Of course Baby B didn't want to be left out so he now has staph infection on his face as well. :} I can hold them still but I have to wear a horrid gown and gloves. This gown always heats me up and I end up sweating to death before I am even done holding one baby. I usually have to step outside where it is cooler then come back and hold the other one. I have to wear the gown for a while now until it is all clear. Since they just found the staph for Baby B, it will be a very long time until the gown can go away.
Baby A weighs 4lbs now and Baby B weighs 5lbs now. They were going to be transferred to Fair Oaks last week but the snow storm was imminent and since there was a ton of other transfers that needed to be done, the boys kept getting bumped. So now since Baby A isn't breathing as well on his cannula as he was last week he can't be transferred. Since I refuse to transfer one baby without the other then they both stay at Fairfax. Anyway, other than that they are fine. I go in everyday to hold them and to try and feed Baby B his bottle. He only gets a little bit through a bottle and he gets mad that he can't eat from a bottle. He puts his hands in his mouth to try and suck on them, he turns his head both ways looking for that bottle, and he will just flat out cry because he can't suck on a bottle. When I am there and they start his feeding I have to let him suck on a pacifier because that is not how he wants to eat. So I hold him and he sucks on his pacifier while the food goes into his stomach through a tube. I know he hates it but for now that has to work because he has to take little steps in order to be fed a whole bottle. It is really sad to see though. I can imagine that it wouldn't be satisfying to just be fed through a tube.
I don't know when Baby A will be learning to feed. It is a very frustrating process though because I really want my babies home. BUT, I do want them to be completely healthy. So, here is to another holiday in the NICU. At least Santa will visit there as well. Santa did stop by the NICU on Saturday though and the boys were able to get pictures with him. No, Santa did not hold or touch the boys he just stood on the outside of the isolette. I am hoping it doesn't ice over on Christmas because that would be too hard to sit here and not go visit on Christmas day. We were very tempted to go and visit the boys this past Saturday even with the snow. It isn't anything we haven't driven in before when were in Idaho. We will see what happens. Take care and have a merry Christmas. I know we will.

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, Shasta, and I hope the boys make huge strides toward coming home.

    ReplyDelete