Friday, October 23, 2009

Pet Therapy?

For the last few days I have seen dogs around walking the hallways. Yesterday I asked why they were up here and I was told it was because of pet therapy. I still don't know what it is but I can assume they bring the dogs up here to lower the stress and anxiety of patients. I asked the nurse about it this morning and an hour or so ago my doctor approved pet therapy. I really just wanted to pet the dogs. It is very stressful not knowing if today is the day your babies will be born or not. It is stressful that every morning someone is waking me up at 6:30am to monitor me and take blood and who knows what else. I don't go to bed early enough to be woken up at 6:30am. If I did I would never see Doug. There are a ton of other things I don't like such as the constant tests the doctors can run because I am in a hospital and they have free reign. So, why not let a dog come in here once or twice a week to calm my nerves a bit? It sounds pretty cool to me. I was told if I had a dog of my own then I could have someone bring that dog in pretty often. So, I can bring a dog in here but I can't bring my kids in? Whatever.
All sorts of people keep telling me I won't be in here for long. Even the doctors are amazed that I am still here. I wish they would quit telling me I won't be in here for long because then I won't be disappointed every morning when I go in for an ultrasound. I am happy I am at 27 weeks, don't get me wrong. I am thrilled!!! I really am. I know its better to have babies inside than out but there is too much anxiety here and a hospital is not a restful place. Let's face it they put people in here to treat the symptoms but they don't let you rest. ;)
By the way, when I do have these babies and I get home a few days after that, I am planning on crashing on my bed for a day or so straight. So you can call but I will be asleep in a very comfortable bed, with comfortable sheets, and I will be able to finally sleep on my back again. I am excited about that. Until then...bring the dogs in here and let me relax.

5 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I wish that I had that when I was in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe dress your kids up as dogs? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does seem weird that they would let dogs in and not your kids. But, at least they offer that to you. I hope it helps. And, congrats on reaching 27 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are surviving! Know there are lots of prayers and happy thoughts going your way...

    ReplyDelete